Saturday, December 12, 2009

Monochrome and Sunset

Winter Color in Alaska can be summed up in two words;
monochrome and sunsets.
When the sky is clear, the colors of the sunrise, and the soon-to-follow sunset, are the most brilliant I have ever seen. Between sunsrise and sunset, and on cloudy or foggy days, I live in a monochrome world.

Over the last several days the Anchorage area has been experiencing ice fog which clings to surfaces as Hoar Frost. The effect of the landscape is like nothing I've ever seen. Ice crystals build upon one another creating a lacy look on deciduous trees and a well-flocked look to conifers. Hand rails, tree trunks, and BBQs left out over the winter are marked with the frost and tree branches droop from the weight.

Next weekend I’m going to be in Fairbanks to experience December Solstice only 125 miles south of the Arctic Circle. It is the northernmost logical place to be for the occasion without paying ½ a month’s salary (I’m exaggerating a little, but not much!) to fly up to Barrow to experience full darkness. There will be close to 2 hours less daylight in the Fairbanks area, in comparison to Anchorage. Sunrise on Dec 20 will be at 10:58 AM and sunset will be at 2:39 PM for a total of 3 hours, 42 minutes of daylight.
I’m taking a good book and my knitting with me!


Border Collie wearing "mittens"

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I love reading about your adventures and all the beautiful pictures.
    Love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow~i love your photographs.
    especially the laced up trees
    and admire that you are get to
    experiance life in
    beautifully oppi-site then I.
    im still in a tanktop here.
    thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa,

    I am so impressed with not only with your writing, but your photography as well. These photos are A-mazing. I love the sunset photo the best, but those trees are also spectacular.

    Kudos to whomever cares enough about their puppy dog to protect its foot pads!

    Love Candis

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments!


Denali - View from Visitor Center August 2008